Eighteen educators from across Colorado, Nebraska, and Nevada convened for a River Ecology and Water Management courses during the 2nd annual Western Rivers Teacher Workshop during Western State Colorado University's Summer Teacher Institute in June 2018.
Reflections from Participants
Participants' Story Maps
a project of Extended Studies Summer Teacher Institute
Western Rivers Teacher Workshops
Institute Feedback from Participants
- This course has motivated me to go from wanting to learn more about my own back yard to the actually doing.
- Another thanks for sharing your knowledge and expertise. The class was wonderful.
- Great info, speakers and field trips!
- Well thought out and planned. visiting Coldharbour was the perfect mix of "think" and "brain break" activities. So enjoyable! Wow, I soaked in and thoroughly enjoyed the entire workshop. I wish we had more time to delve deeper. I look forward to building on to the new knowledge through possible future workshops.
- I will use activities learning during the workshop in lesson plans for MS. Interdependent Relationships in Ecosystems.
- I will make my lessons more relative to CO water
- I want more ‘at the river’ experiences
- I am in Alaska now and much more observant of my surroundings because of the class.
- I feel that everything was well planned out and packed to overflowing in order to get as much out of the course as possible; and I was still left wanting more. Maybe a two week course with more hands on projects to help solidify learning?
- The workshop was attended primarily for personal gain to broaden my general watershed knowledge. The information will be very useful as I become more involved in school and community projects regarding water. This course has encouraged and motivated me to want to be a more inquisitive person regarding my surroundings. I am so EXCITED to use the new skills learned to "play" in my own backyard. Thank you for that!
Reflection on the River Institute from Sarah Johnson, Instructor
The 2018 River Teacher Institute planning is underway and details will be announced in January 2018. Sign up here to get information about upcoming workshop details.
A couple final videos from the week