Tue, Aug 01|
Zoom & Canvas Learning Management System
Leave No Trace Trainer Course - August
For outdoor leaders committed to an audience-centered inclusive approach to teaching people to minimize their impact while recreating on public lands.
Time & Location
Aug 01, 4:00 PM MDT – Aug 09, 6:30 PM MDT
Zoom & Canvas Learning Management System
About the event
Course Dates: August 1, 2, 8, 9, 2023; 4:00pm-6:30pm mountain time
Anyone who spends time outdoors on public lands should be practicing Leave No Trace practices. We are pleased to offer the Virtual Leave No Trace Trainer Course as a commitment to help outdoor leaders strengthen their facilitation skills. Using the online format approved by the Leave No Trace Center for Outdoor Ethics, this LNT Trainer Course will dive into the 'why' of LNT skills and ethics as well as spend considerable time with techniques for effectively facilitating learning opportunities to share these low impact practices with students of all ages. A lens of equity and inclusion will be embedded throughout the entirety of the course. This course is ideal for outdoor leaders who have knowledge of the LNT principles and take people of all ages outdoors for single or multi-day courses. Participants will prepare and practice teach an in person lesson during the course (topics will be selected by participants on the first day of the course). A strong focus on teaching and learning as well as wildland ethics will be incorporated into this virtual training. Prepare to complete 10 hours of online zoom course meetings and 10 hours of additional course pre-work and homework. This course is not 'at your own pace, on your own'. There will be specific assignment deadlines, synchronous online meetings/classes, and lots of asynchronous on-your-own activities/readings. The zoom course meetings are interactive and engaging and rely on participants full engagement through breakout rooms, editable google slides, padlets, and other online learning tools.
All participants should access the Digital Training Packet available free for download. Participants are also encouraged (not required) to purchase the LNT Educator Toolkit prior to the course beginning. Purchasing at least one of the teaching books is helpful for participants. Virtual Learning Hardware and Software - these tools will make your learning experience the most effective and pleasant:
- laptop or desktop computer
- computer camera (so you can be seen by others on zoom) and microphone
- familiarity with google slides/docs and have a google/gmail log in
- ability to learn how to use Canvas LMS to access the course website and all assignments
- must create Padlet.com free login to be able to contribute to course activities and assignments
- smartphone or camera to create video of themselves teaching an in-person lesson and then upload it for fellow classmates to view
Pre Course and Post Course Work
- Participants are sent email communication 2-3 weeks prior to the start of the course with directions for logging into the course canvas website.
- Pre-work assignments are available 5 days before the course begins and are expected to be completed by the first zoom class.
- Post work final assignments are to be completed within 5 days of the last zoom class.
Participants must be 18 years old or older and identify as outdoor educators, leaders, instructors, guides, rangers, etc. International folks (outside of USA) are welcome to participate.
Each Course Participant Receives
- Four 2.5-hour long sessions of engaging interactive virtual instruction from LNT Master Educator
- Learning and sharing with a community of outdoor educators
- Access to a lively virtual network of over 100 LNT Trainers credentialed by Wild Rose Education
- Leave No Trace Trainer credential certificate that never expires
- Tools and skills to offer LNT Awareness Courses and teach Leave No Trace skills
- Certificate of 24 professional development training hours
LNT Trainer Course
+$4.73 service fee
Jul 28, 6:30 PM MDT
+$4.73 service fee0